I have the best recipe for your family movie nights for this Friday, and EVERY Friday from here on!
There is almost nothing better than making a batch of homemade popcorn, unless of course you can make homemade salted caramel corn! This recipe, adapted from Greg Atkinson (man crush), is so easy and so delicious that you may never buy microwave popping corn again! Your kids will love it and you will be the hippest dad (or mom) on the planet!
- 1 gallon popped popcorn
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dissolve the baking soda in 2 tbsp of water and set aside. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, corn oil, molasses, and the remaining 1/3 cup water in a very large Dutch oven. Stir the mixture over medium high heat until the sugar melts and the mixture comes to a boil. Stop stirring and allow the mixture to boil until it reaches 250 degrees on a kitchen thermometer, about 5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the dissolved baking soda.
- Immediately add the popcorn to the caramel mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until the popcorn is evenly coated. Spread the popcorn over the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!